HAMILTON, Bermuda – Catlin Group Limited (‘CGL’; London Stock Exchange), the international specialty property/casualty insurer and reinsurer, announces that Michael Maran, who has led Catlin’s space insurance activities for the past decade, has been appointed as the Group’s Chief Science Officer. He will continue to be based in London.
In his new role, Mike Maran will work with Catlin underwriters, risk modellers, actuaries and other employees to improve Catlin’s risk assessment capabilities by reviewing the scientific aspects of risks. He will also identify new underwriting opportunities for Catlin created by scientific progress, and he will serve as an advisor for various Catlin activities that are related to science, such as the current Catlin Seaview Survey.
Mike Maran, who has 30 years of experience in the insurance industry, joined Catlin in 2002 as Class Underwriter for the Space account. He was later promoted to Senior Underwriter and subsequently to Deputy Business Group Leader for the Aerospace business group. He has a bachelor’s degree in natural sciences from St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, as well as a master’s degree and a PhD in astrophysics from the University of London.
Paul Brand, Catlin’s Chief Underwriting Officer, said:
“Catlin is well-known in the insurance industry as a company that embraces scientific research, best demonstrated by our sponsorship of the Catlin Arctic Survey and now the Catlin Seaview Survey. Mike Maran’s appointment as Chief Science Officer for the Catlin Group further underscores our deep interest in science, especially how scientific issues can impact insurers and policyholders. Mike will work with employees throughout the Group to advise them on issues relating to science and to help them better apply scientific knowledge to their day-to-day activities.”
For more information contact:
Head of Communications, London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7458 5710
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 767 738
Head of Investor Relations, London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7458 5726
Mobile: +44 (0)7710 314 365
Notes to editors:
- A high-resolution photograph of Michael Maran is available on request.
- Catlin Group Limited, headquartered in Bermuda, is an international specialist property/casualty insurer and reinsurer writing more than 30 classes of business worldwide through six underwriting hubs. Gross premiums written in 2011 amounted to US$4.5 billion.
- Catlin has established operating hubs in London, Bermuda, the United States, the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Canada. Through these hubs, Catlin works closely with policyholders and their brokers. The hubs also provide Catlin with product and geographic diversity. Altogether, Catlin operates more than 55 offices in 21 countries.
- The Catlin Syndicate at Lloyd’s (Syndicate 2003) has ranked as the largest syndicate at Lloyd’s in terms of gross premium volume since 2007.
- Catlin's underwriting units are rated 'A' by A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's.
- Catlin shares are traded on the London Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: CGL). More information about Catlin can be found at www.catlin.com.
- Catlin is the title sponsor of the Catlin Seaview Survey, a major scientific expedition that will include the first comprehensive study to document the composition and health of sections of the Great Barrier Reef across an unprecedented range of depths. The scientific data gathered by the Catlin Seaview Survey will strengthen the understanding of how climate change and other environmental changes are likely to affect ocean ecosystems. More information is available at www.catlinseaviewsurvey.com.