The Marine Liability account was one of the first lines of business written by the Catlin Group and today enjoys a market leading position. It is a diverse portfolio that spans the entire spectrum of the maritime industry. Typical risks include the liability arising out of the ownership, operation or chartering of watercraft, the operation of ports and terminals, ship builders and repairers, marina operators, pollution and / or COFR providers for vessel owners as well as other niche areas.
Areas of expertise include:
- Protection and Indemnity – a key component of the marine liability account, Catlin is the lead underwriter on the International Group of P&I Associations (IGPIA) reinsurance programme which provides cover for more than 90% of the world’s tonnage. Catlin also provides specialist P&I cover for risks that fall outside of this programme (termed ‘non-poolable’ risks) as well as cover for ship owners who prefer a fixed premium entry.
- Ports and Terminals – Catlin insure ports and terminals throughout the world and within the group can offer cover for physical damage risks in addition to liability coverage.
- Charterers’ Liability – a specialist area of the portfolio, often written as reinsurance of an IGPIA Club, Catlin can also provide direct insurance to a Charterer if required.
- Marina operators, ship repairers and shipbuilders - Catlin insure these facilities throughout the world and within the group can offer cover for physical damage risks in addition to the liability coverage.
- Other Niche areas - Catlin can provide pollution cover arising from vessels or other marine operations, professional indemnity for those within the maritime industry, maritime employers’ liability and liability arising out of the ownership or transportation of cargo.
Given the international nature of the world trade Catlin insures risks spread throughout the world and can be accepted on a primary or excess basis.
Catlin uses its knowledge and experience within this class of business to provide innovative solutions, often on a bespoke basis, to a wide range of clients across the spectrum of the maritime industries.
Catlin is seen both within the market and across our client base as a respected brand, with market leading expertise within the sector. Our underwriters have a wealth of experience and knowledge of the markets in which they operate. We have Marine teams based in the UK, Europe, Canada, Asia, Australia and the US.
We offer flexibility and availability to our brokers, together with fast response times and an excellent claims service. Our claims teams are experienced and we benefit from industry-wide recognition for our service through the Gracechurch Claims Monitor study of London brokers.